Saturday 10 May 2014

Five Minute Friday: Grateful

New instalment of Five-Minute Friday - a day late again but yesterday was very busy! :) Linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker and other bloggers to write for five minutes. This week the word in "grateful".

Grateful

A few years ago, Ann Voskamp wrote a fabulous book called One Thousand Gifts. It illustrated her journey to a grateful, joyful life (at least that’s part of what I got out of it). It was inspirational and convicting. It changed my life. While I was reading it, and after, I thought about how much I have to be thankful for … and how I often forget to give God thanks for even the little things (and there are a lot of little things).

So last January (2013) when everyone was making New Year’s resolutions, I decided to make one of my own so to speak. But instead of a resolution, it was going to be one word that would impact my life for that whole year. The word was contentment. Because, really, the twin sister of thankfulness is contentment. If you’re thankful in all thins, you’re content with your life, with what you have. I printed a few copies of the word in fancy text and posted it around my house – in places that I often go, where I would see it and be reminded. Every day I was reminded about being content.

And I read through Ann’s book again and used the One Thousand Gifts devotional as well. I intentionally sat down throughout the day to write down things I was thankful for.  And I was reminded of all the blessings I have in my life. And I learned to be grateful for them. I have two beautiful daughters – one with an overabundance of energy, one who is so super relaxed she’s often referred to by others as my “zen baby”. They bring such blessings to my life! The oldest reminds me to embrace the simple joys of life, the youngest reminds me it’s ok to have my quiet times that I so desperately need every day! I have a husband who loves me so deeply. Sometimes I think the signals I send make him feel like he doesn’t quite know how to show his love. :) But he perseveres and I feel greatly loved! He is a passionate man about so many things and inspires me to better myself. These are big blessings! But the little things I’m grateful for? The cozy bed, the coffee in the morning, clothes I’m comfortable in, yummy food, did I mention the coffee? … these are just a few of the many blessings I get to experience every day.


You know, when we start our day giving thanks to God, and when we take time to offer thanks throughout the day (especially when our attitude is going south), it changes things! It makes us more positive because we are more content and we see the wonders God has done! Such a little exercise that is so incredibly life changing! So, I’m grateful for this change in me, and I thank God for it daily. And I also encourage anyone who reads this to take the time to offer up thanks daily (and throughout the day) … even if it’s for the sun glistening off the mop water in the kitchen! LOL

My precious girls in their Easter outfits! :)

My wonderful family - they were playing "chase" through the living room, dinning room and kitchen. So very grateful for these three people!




Five Minute Friday

4 comments:

  1. I feel you on the coffee! That book made a huge difference for me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank-you! It's not always easy writing in the moment on Five-Minute Friday but it is always worth it! :)

      Delete